Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam

I'm watching an old Salman Khan movie हम दिल दे चुके सनम (I Have Already Given My Heart, Darling) and I learned a new word:

गाना [gaana] to sing

The father of the family tells him, "Gaao!"

संगीत [sangeet] music

ज्ञान (gyan) wisdom

In the first 30 minutes it's a romantic comedy in the making,  there has already been a little of everything: a handsome stranger annoys the heroine, arrives, gets soaking wet, informs the heroine within two minutes of meeting her that she'll fall in love, prances around wearing only a towel, gets fooled, sings, farts... Then it quickly turns a bit disturbing because the whole idea of forcing a (violent) marriage on an unwilling woman and talking about it as being the right thing to do troubles me.


No comments:

Post a Comment